About Me l Easy way Earn Money l Home & Family l Health & Fitness l Top News Today l Money & Marketing l Live Sports l Computer & Internet : Productivity : Security : Multimedia : Privacy :

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Lesnar loose on eve of title fight

Lesnar grateful for health, eager to face Carwin
Brock Lesnar had never heard of the illness that nearly killed him last year, yet he learned about more than diverticulitis during his year away from the octagon.

The UFC heavyweight champion discovered serious diets and real training for the first time. The former professional wrestler and all-around tough guy says he even developed a deeper love for his friends and family.

Still, health problems didn’t change everything about the UFC’s biggest pay-per-view draw, who fights interim champ Shane Carwin at UFC 116 on Saturday night in Las Vegas.
ADVERTISEMENT

Lesnar still drinks and swears. He still accidentally criticizes the UFC’s sponsors, much to president Dana White’s chagrin. And he’s still the toughest puzzle in the heavyweight division, even while many mixed martial arts observers believe Carwin has a strong chance against the thick-necked Lesnar, who won the title in just his fourth pro fight.

“This illness, it kills a lot of people, and it’s something I never even knew I had,” Lesnar said. “I think the setback for me actually has been a good thing. It allowed me to sit back and really focus on my diet, the way I trained. I really regrouped and rejuvenated myself. I took a new approach on it, and it’s been very refreshing. It’s been a great thing. I’m excited to fight.”



 The long-awaited bout between Lesnar and Carwin headlines the card at the MGM Grand Garden in the UFC’s hometown. They were scheduled to meet twice late last year, but both bouts were canceled when Lesnar fell ill with the strength-sapping malady that went undiagnosed for several weeks.

The oversized heavyweight had been felled by serious inflammation and other problems in his intestine.

“I laid in a hospital bed for over two weeks without any food in my body,” Lesnar said. “I couldn’t put any food in my mouth. I lost 42 pounds at that time. … To wake up every day, to be on all them drugs and not be able to put any food in your mouth, yeah, you definitely take a different approach on life. You realize that there’s nothing more important in life than your family, and you really find out who your friends are. I felt like I was on my deathbed.”

The UFC realized the severity of Lesnar’s injury when he went to the Mayo Clinic for treatment, yet the league also lost a golden opportunity to capitalize on Lesnar’s burgeoning mainstream popularity after he beat Frank Mir last July at UFC 100.

Lesnar’s absence also hurt Carwin, the 35-year-old mechanical engineer and former college wrestler who seemed deserving of a title shot from his first UFC bout in May 2008. Carwin (12-0) has never been in an MMA fight that reached the second round, stopping or submitting each of his opponents.

“I don’t take any of these fights personally,” the soft-spoken Carwin said. “I go in there and perform because that’s what I love to do.”

Carwin waited on Lesnar (4-1) until last March, when the UFC matched him against Mir for the interim title. Carwin knocked out Mir in the first round and immediately set his sights on Lesnar, who was back in training after briefly questioning whether he should continue.

“I really went back to the drawing board on life when I was sick,” Lesnar said. “When I finally decided that I could fight and continue this legacy, I thought, ‘You know what, I’ve got to make some changes. I want to get better. When I come back I want to be in greater shape. I want to be a better fighter.”’

So Lesnar hired a new strength coach and a new boxing trainer while changing his 3,200-calorie diet, which now is heavy on chicken breasts, steamed broccoli and boiled potatoes. In a multifaceted sport, the former college wrestling champion realizes his bulk and wrestling skills won’t protect him forever.

“I have a lot of areas that I feel like I just scratched the surface,” Lesnar said. “I can become that much better of a fighter in boxing and kickboxing and jiujitsu and even my wrestling.”

Lesnar still is an unpolished striker after spending most of his life working on his formidable wrestling skills, but he has the sheer strength to do tremendous damage if the fighters stay on their feet. Carwin has proven one-punch knockout power to go with his wrestling background.

“I can see the fight taking place everywhere,” Carwin said. “I’ve prepared in all areas, and I’m just ready to get in there and do what I love to do. This is fun for me.”

Neither fighter has been in many lengthy bouts, yet Carwin lives and trains in Colorado’s high altitudes. Lesnar insists he won’t be rusty after a long training camp, but nobody will be certain about his conditioning unless he’s able to stretch Carwin to the later rounds.

Lesnar still has mood swings and a quick temper, yet they’re balanced by that newfound appreciation for his career and his wife and children.

“I really feel like … I’m a cat with nine lives,” Lesnar said. “I think I’ve got about eight left.”

Share/Bookmark

No comments: